The holiday season is just around the corner, and for eCommerce businesses, that means one thing: Black Friday. Black Friday has become synonymous with incredible deals and massive sales, making it a crucial time for businesses to boost their revenue. One powerful tool that can help you maximize your Black Friday sales is email marketing.
The Power of Email Marketing
According to a study by Custora, email marketing accounted for 19.8% of all transactions in 2022. This makes it the third most effective marketing channel, after organic traffic and paid search. Another study by the Data & Marketing Association found that 59% of marketers believe that email marketing is the most effective channel for generating leads. This data suggests that email marketing is a powerful tool for driving sales, especially during Black Friday. A well-crafted email campaign can help you reach a large audience of potential customers and encourage them to make a purchase.
Don’t miss out the in-depth analysis of 2023 trends and opportunities, everything you need to know about eCommerce strategy for BLACK FRIDAY 2023, click here to download the report for FREE!
Tips for Crafting Effective Black Friday Email Campaigns
To make the most of your Black Friday email marketing efforts, follow these tips:
- Divide Your Strategy into Phases
The Black Friday email strategy should be divided into three phases: pre-Black Friday, Black Friday day, and post-Black Friday (Black Friday weekend). Each phase serves a specific purpose and helps you build momentum leading up to the big day.
- Pre-Black Friday: Start as early as mid-October, offering teaser emails and early-bird discount codes to generate excitement.
- Black Friday Day: Timing is crucial, with the best sending times between 9 and 11 am. Craft clever, valuable, and intriguing emails.
- Post-Black Friday: Continue over the weekend with last-chance deals and promotions, preparing customers for Cyber Monday.
- Build and Segment Your Email List
Building and expanding your email list is essential before sending Black Friday emails. Techniques include pop-ups with Black Friday offers and creating Black Friday landing pages. Segmenting your email list allows you to send more targeted and relevant emails to your subscribers. For example, you could segment your list based on purchase history, interests, or demographics.
- Understand Customer Preferences
Understanding customer preferences and popular products during the holiday season is crucial for crafting effective Black Friday deals and email campaigns. Tailor your offers to what your customers are most interested in, ensuring they resonate with your target audience.
- Craft Compelling Subject Lines
Your subject line is the first thing recipients see. Make it attention-grabbing, using emojis and value propositions to increase open rates. The pre-header text should complement the subject line and provide additional context.
- Focus on Email Design
Effective email design is vital for engagement. Include high-quality product images, holiday colors, clear layouts, appropriate font sizes and colors, and the ideal email dimensions (600px wide and 1500px high). Your emails should be visually appealing and easy to read on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Include Clear Call-to-Action Buttons
Your emails should feature clear, actionable call-to-action buttons. Place them above the fold, use attention-grabbing colors, and use actionable language. Make it as easy as possible for recipients to take the desired action, whether it’s making a purchase or signing up for your Black Friday newsletter.
- Utilize Advanced Email Elements
To add urgency and interest to your Black Friday emails, consider using advanced email elements. Countdown timers, GIFs, and dynamic content blocks can capture attention and encourage action.
- Integrate with Other Marketing Channels
Maximize your Black Friday email strategy by integrating it with other marketing channels such as social media, SMS marketing, referral marketing, and influencer marketing. A multi-channel approach can significantly enhance your reach and impact.
Learn more: Black Friday eCommerce Strategy 101: From Marketing to Logistics, Everything You Need to Know
- Implement Automation Workflows
Automation workflows allow you to deliver personalized messages and offers to the right audience at the right time. Create automated sequences for welcome emails, cart abandonment reminders, and post-purchase follow-ups to enhance the customer journey.
- Monitor and Optimize Performance
Track email performance metrics like open rate, click-through rate, bounce rate, and unsubscribe rate. Use A/B testing to refine your campaigns and improve their effectiveness.
- Prepare for Cyber Monday
Extend the holiday sales period by preparing for Cyber Monday with dedicated email campaigns and unique deals. Cyber Monday is an excellent opportunity to continue driving sales after Black Friday.
6 Inspirational Black Friday email Campaigns
1. Black Friday VIP access email
Subject: Hey VIP! Black Friday starts NOW
Baublebar targets its loyal customers with VIP access to Black Friday deals, enhancing customer retention and satisfaction.
Design highlights: The image is visually appealing and eye-catching. The bright red bubblebar and text stand out against the white background. The text is easy to read and understand. The image also conveys a sense of urgency, with the text “12 HOURS ONLY” and “SHOP NOW”.
What you should learn from it: Black Friday is a great time to attract new customers and generate brand awareness, but Baublebar also takes this opportunity to reward its existing customers. Giving loyal customers early access to deals and exclusive discounts makes them feel valued and appreciated. This can help to increase customer loyalty and satisfaction, and can also boost sales and excitement around the brand.
How to implement it: Create a Black Friday email campaign specifically for your existing customers. In the email, invite them to shop your Black Friday sale before it opens to the general public, and offer them an exclusive discount. You can also limit the amount of time that the early access sale is available, to create a sense of urgency and encourage customers to shop right away.
2. Urgency email
Subject: Last hours to get up to $100 off our award-winning smart devices
Withings creates a sense of urgency in its email, emphasizing limited-time offers and discounts.
What you should learn from it: Withings uses urgency throughout the email to create a sense of FOMO (fear of missing out). They use phrases like “Tomorrow is too late,” “Last chance,” and “Ends in a few hours” to make subscribers feel like they need to act now or miss out on a great deal. The subject line also has urgency in it, with the added incentive of money off.
Even though Withings uses urgency, they also keep their brand’s personality intact. They use casual language like “Thought you’d want to know” to make the email feel more like a personal message from a friend.
How to implement it: You can create urgency and scarcity in your email marketing by using deadlines and timers. For example, you could offer a limited-time discount, a free bonus, or a special deal that expires in a few hours or days.
You can also use scarcity by limiting the quantity of a product that is available. For example, you could offer a limited number of products at a discounted price, or you could offer a free gift to the first 100 customers who purchase a product.
3. Personalization email
Subject: Price drop on your favorites!
Columbia personalizes its email campaigns by featuring products of interest to individual customers, enhancing engagement and offering unique experiences.
What you should learn from it: Personalization is key to successful email marketing. Today’s shoppers are more likely to open and engage with emails that are relevant to them. By announcing discounts on products that customers have previously shown an interest in, Columbia is able to create a more personalized shopping experience. This deepens their connection with customers and makes them more likely to buy.
How to implement it: To implement this strategy, you can use email segmentation and data to identify the products that each customer is interested in. You can do this by tracking their browsing history, purchase history, and abandoned cart items.
Once you have identified the products that each customer is interested in, you can create targeted email campaigns that promote those products. For example, you could send an email to customers with items in their cart reminding them to complete their purchase. Or, you could send an email to customers who have previously purchased a product recommending complementary products.
It’s also important to include a strong incentive in your Black Friday discount email. This could be a percentage discount, free shipping, or a bonus gift.
4. Alternative campaign
REI reaches customers with their annual #optoutside campaign. Their Black Friday messaging shifts from buying REI’s products to enjoying nature.
- Strong call to action: The eDM has a strong call to action that is clear and concise. The “Join us outside” button is prominently displayed in the center of the eDM, and the #optoutside #together is clear and compelling.
- Relevant and engaging content: The eDM contains relevant and engaging content that is relevant to REI’s target audience. The images of people enjoying the outdoors are appealing and inspiring, and the text is informative and persuasive.
What you should learn from it:
- Focus on your brand values: REI’s Black Friday campaign is consistent with their brand values of environmental stewardship and outdoor recreation. By focusing on their brand values, REI is able to create a campaign that is authentic and engaging.
- Be different: REI’s Black Friday campaign is different from other Black Friday campaigns because it encourages customers to spend time in nature instead of shopping. This makes REI’s campaign stand out from the competition and is more likely to be remembered by customers.
How to implement it:
- Be clear about your brand values: What does your brand stand for? What are your core values? Once you know your brand values, you can use them to create marketing campaigns that are authentic and engaging.
- Be different: Don’t just do what everyone else is doing. Think outside the box and come up with creative and innovative marketing campaigns that will make your brand stand out from the competition.
- Use storytelling: Stories are a powerful way to connect with customers on a personal level. When creating your eCommerce marketing communication, try to use storytelling to connect with your target audience on a deeper level.
5. Offer a free gift
Carbonmade offers their subscribers two months of their Pro plan for free.
What you should learn from it:
- Offer your customers a free gift: Offering a free gift is a great way to entice customers and make your Black Friday campaign more appealing.
- Make it easy for customers to claim their gift: Clearly explain how customers can claim their free gift in your email campaign. This could involve providing a link, a coupon code, or a simple instruction to reply to the email.
How to implement it:
- Brainstorm a list of free gifts that you could offer your customers: What are some products or services that your customers would find valuable? What are some things that you could offer for free that would make your Black Friday campaign more appealing?
- Choose the right delivery method: How will you deliver your free gift to your customers? This will depend on the type of gift that you are offering. For example, if you are offering a physical product, you will need to ship it to your customers. If you are offering a digital product or service, you can email it to your customers or provide them with a link to download it.
Huckberry gives email subscribers the chance to win a Casper mattress.
What you should learn from it:
- Run a giveaway: Running a giveaway is a great way to entice customers and make your Black Friday campaign more appealing.
- Offer a prize that your target audience will find valuable: The prize that you offer should be something that your target audience would really want to win. This will make them more likely to enter your giveaway.
How to implement it:
- Brainstorm a list of prizes that you could offer your customers: What are some products or services that your customers would find valuable? What are some things that you could offer as a prize that would make your Black Friday campaign more appealing?
- Choose the right delivery method: How will you deliver your prize to the winner of your giveaway? This will depend on the type of prize that you are offering. For example, if you are offering a physical product, you will need to ship it to the winner. If you are offering a digital product or service, you can email it to the winner or provide them with a link to download it.
Common Email Campaign Mistakes to Avoid
While crafting your Black Friday email campaigns, it’s crucial to avoid common mistakes that can hinder your success:
1. Don’t Spam Your Subscribers
Sending too many emails or irrelevant content can lead to subscribers unsubscribing or marking your emails as spam. Only send emails to people who have willingly subscribed to receive them.
2. Avoid Misleading Subject Lines
Misleading or deceptive subject lines can annoy your subscribers and erode their trust. Be transparent and honest in your email subject lines to build long-term trust with your audience.
3. Keep Emails Concise
People are busy during the holiday season, so keep your emails concise and to the point. Avoid overwhelming recipients with lengthy, complicated messages.
4. Always Include a Clear Call to Action
Every email should have a clear call to action that tells your subscribers what you want them to do next. Whether it’s “Shop Now,” “Learn More,” or “Subscribe,” make it easy for them to take the desired action.
5. Don’t Overload Subscribers
Sending too many emails, especially in a short timeframe, can overwhelm your subscribers and lead to higher unsubscribe rates. Strike a balance between staying in touch and not overwhelming your audience.
The Importance of a Trustworthy Fulfillment Partner
After successfully executing your Black Friday email campaign, it’s essential to have a trustworthy fulfillment partner in place to handle the surge in orders. One such partner is Spaceship which offers customized fulfillment services, from warehousing to pick-pack and shipping. Here are the key selling points:
- Send from China or Hong Kong to worldwide from USD 5: Spaceship provides cost-effective global shipping solutions.
- Warehousing starts from 6 small boxes and charges on a monthly basis: This flexibility allows you to scale your operations as needed.
- Free software to control the whole fulfillment process online: Spaceship’s online platform makes it easy to manage your fulfillment operations efficiently.
Incorporating a reliable fulfillment partner like Spaceship ensures that your Black Friday sales are fulfilled smoothly and your customers receive their orders on time, enhancing their overall shopping experience.
Connect with Spaceship Fulfillment.
Get 30 days free storage when you book demo.
In conclusion, Black Friday presents a significant opportunity for eCommerce businesses to boost sales through well-executed email marketing campaigns. By following the tips outlined in this article and avoiding common email campaign mistakes, you can create compelling and effective email campaigns that drive conversions. Additionally, partnering with a trusted fulfillment service like Spaceship ensures that your customers receive their Black Friday purchases promptly, contributing to a positive shopping experience. With careful planning and execution, your Black Friday email marketing campaigns can make this holiday season a profitable one for your business.