Black Friday is one of the most eagerly anticipated shopping events of the year. It’s a time when businesses can significantly boost their sales, However, it’s important to remember that not all sales are created equal. Increasing your average order value (AOV) is just as important as increasing the number of sales you make.
In this article, we’ll explore what AOV is, why it’s essential, and discuss strategies to increase it during the Black Friday shopping frenzy. We’ll also delve into the significance of tracking your sales and ROI and talk about how to complete the order with a fulfillment solution.
Don’t miss out the in-depth analysis of 2023 trends and opportunities, everything you need to know about eCommerce strategy for BLACK FRIDAY 2023, click here to download the report for FREE!
Understanding Average Order Value (AOV)
What is average order value (AOV)?
Average Order Value (AOV) is a critical eCommerce metric that represents the average amount a customer spends in a single transaction. It’s calculated by dividing the total revenue by the number of orders. For example, if your online store generated $5,000 from 100 orders in a month, your AOV would be $50 ($5,000/100).
Why is average order value (AOV) important for businesses?
AOV offers valuable insights into your business’s performance and profitability. Here are some reasons why AOV matters:
- Increased Revenue: A higher AOV means more revenue per order, which can lead to increased overall sales.
- Improved Marketing ROI: When you know your AOV, you can allocate your marketing budget more effectively, targeting customers with a higher AOV who are likely to generate more revenue.
- Better Inventory Management: A higher AOV can help you manage your inventory more efficiently and reduce carrying costs.
Industry Benchmarks for average order value (AOV)
What are the average AOVs for different industries?
Benchmarking your AOV against industry averages can help you gauge your business’s performance. AOVs vary by industry, but some examples include:
- Fashion and Apparel: Around $100 to $150.
- Electronics: Approximately $300 to $500.
- Home and Garden: Typically $80 to $120.
However, it’s essential to note that industry averages can change over time and can also be influenced by factors like seasonality and economic conditions.
The Impact of Black Friday on Average Order Value (AOV)
How does Black Friday typically affect average order value (AOV)?
Black Friday has a significant impact on AOV for several reasons:
- Discounts and Promotions: Black Friday sales often include discounts and promotions that encourage customers to buy more products, increasing AOV.
- Limited-Time Offers: The urgency created by limited-time offers can lead customers to add more items to their carts.
- Bundle Deals: Retailers often bundle products, enticing customers to spend more for added value.
What other factors can affect average order value (AOV)?
Besides Black Friday promotions, several other factors can influence AOV:
- Customer Lifetime Value (CLV): Building long-term relationships with customers can lead to higher AOV over time.
- Customer Loyalty Programs: Offering loyalty rewards can incentivize customers to spend more with your business.
- Product Margins: Promoting products with higher profit margins can increase AOV.
Strategies to Increase Average Order Value (AOV) During Black Friday
Black Friday is the perfect opportunity to focus on increasing your AOV. Here are some effective strategies to consider:
- Offer Tiered Discounts: Create tiered discount offers, where customers get a higher discount when they spend more. For example, “Get 10% off orders over $100 and 20% off orders over $200.” This will encourage customers to add more items to their carts in order to qualify for a higher discount.
- Bundle Complementary Products: Bundle related products together at a discounted price, encouraging customers to buy more. For example, you could bundle a winter coat with a scarf and hat, or a new smartphone with a case and screen protector.
- Offer Free Shipping on Orders Over a Certain Amount: Set a minimum order amount for free shipping. Customers are more likely to add extra items to their carts to qualify. This is a great way to remove the barrier to purchase and encourage customers to spend more money.
- Upsell and Cross-sell Products: Suggest additional items or upgrades to customers in product page and checkout process. When a customer is viewing a product page, recommend other products that they might be interested in. For example, if a customer is viewing a product page for a new TV, you could recommend a soundbar or a wall mount.
- Use Personalization to Target Customers with Relevant Offers: Analyze customer data and provide personalized product recommendations. For example, if a customer has recently purchased a new smartphone, you could recommend them cases, accessories, or apps.
- Offer Exclusive Deals to Loyal Customers: This is a great way to reward your most valuable customers and encourage them to spend more money. For example, you could offer loyal customers early access to Black Friday deals or a higher discount on their purchases.
- Use Social Proof: Highlight customer reviews and testimonials on your website and social media pages. This will show potential customers that other people trust your products and services.
- Localisation is Essential: Showing goods description and price in local language and currency could boost up at least 50% shoppers’ intention to purchase on your website. This is not only about convenience but also a hedge against fraud.
- Make It Easy for Customers to Checkout: Reduce the number of steps required in the checkout process and offer multiple payment options. Try to minimise cart abandonment rate.
These strategies, combined with Black Friday excitement, can lead to a significant boost in your AOV. Additionally, you can consider other tactics specific to your industry and audience.
Learn more: Black Friday eCommerce Strategy 101: From Marketing to Logistics, Everything You Need to Know
Learn from The Giants
Here are a few examples of giant businesses that have successfully increased their AOV during Black Friday:
- Amazon: Amazon is known for its aggressive pricing and tiered discounts. For example, Amazon Prime members often receive free shipping on orders over $25.
- Walmart: Walmart offers a variety of ways for customers to save money, including tiered discounts, product bundles, and free shipping on orders over $35.
- Target: Target offers a variety of deals and promotions during Black Friday, including tiered discounts, product bundles, and exclusive deals for RedCard members.
Tracking Black Friday Sales and ROI
Besides AOV, there are some more metrics that could reflect your overall marketing strategies on Black Friday. Here are some steps and tips to help you monitor and analyze your results:
What Metrics to Track:
- Average Order Value (AOV)
- Total sales revenue
- Conversion rate
- Customer acquisition cost
- Return on investment (ROI)
- Cart abandonment rate
How to Track Your Sales and ROI:
- Utilize e-commerce analytics tools like Google Analytics or e-commerce platforms’ built-in analytics.
- Implement proper tracking codes to monitor website activity and sales conversions.
- Keep a detailed record of all marketing expenditures during the Black Friday season.
Tips for Analyzing Your Results:
- Compare your results to your goals and benchmarks.
- Identify which marketing channels generated the highest ROI and focus your efforts on those channels in the future.
- Use A/B testing to optimize your strategies and improve results.
- Analyze the customer journey to identify potential areas for improvement in the sales process.
Connect with Spaceship Fulfillment.
Get 30 days free storage when you book demo.
The Importance of Trustworthy Fulfillment Partners
During Black Friday, businesses often experience a surge in orders, and ensuring reliable and efficient order fulfillment is crucial. That’s where Spaceship, an innovative fulfillment service provider, comes into play. Here are some of the key selling points of Spaceship:
- Send from China or Hong Kong to worldwide from USD 5: Affordable international shipping rates enable businesses to reach global markets cost-effectively.
- Warehousing starts from 6 small boxes and charges on a monthly basis: Flexible warehousing solutions cater to businesses of all sizes, helping manage inventory efficiently.
- Free software to control the whole fulfillment process online: Spaceship offers a user-friendly software platform that allows you to monitor and manage your fulfillment process with ease.
- Spaceship Care Insurance: As customers order more products from you, the value of each package is high and the Spaceship Care insurance provide protection for package damage and missing.
In conclusion, Black Friday is not only a fantastic opportunity to boost sales but also a time to focus on increasing your Average Order Value. Implementing effective strategies, tracking your results, and partnering with reliable fulfillment providers like Spaceship can help you make the most of this shopping extravaganza. By prioritizing AOV and delivering exceptional customer experiences, you can ensure that your Black Friday sales are not only successful but also highly profitable.
As you prepare for Black Friday, remember that a well-executed plan can lead to a successful holiday season and a substantial boost in your bottom line.